An extremely important component in learning about your individual health needs and getting to know how your mind and body works; is becoming your own healthcare advocate. You can read it here.
I’ve written about my thoughts on why it is so difficult to be and stay healthy. You can read it here. I’m expanding on each of the eight points I made, because I have a lot to say. What I write about, comes from my own personal experiences and observations. As individuals–our health–needs to be approached as such.
6. Exercise. Some of you may be so far in denial, that you question what that even is. I block out exercise sometimes. I go in stages where I do wonderfully, and then I will get slammed with some physical ailment (could be a cold with a hacking cough), that will put a crashing halt to my routine. I love routine, and right now, I’m searching everywhere for the one I lost a while back. Isn’t there someone, somewhere, that can do it for me instead? It goes back to the time thing again, exercise takes time, so if you can’t find the time, then make the time. If you wrote down all your necessary tasks, including sleep, and the time allotted, there would probably be some time to fit in a few sit-ups, push-ups, or some yoga. You would probably be surprised. Simple. Instead of watching your favourite television show, go for a walk. Yah, that’ll work.
Yes, exercise. It’s a four letter word for those of us with weight and other challenges. At the moment, I too dislike the word. It’s exhausting just thinking about it, and how to find the time. What? There’s that all too familiar excuse of not having any time. Time will not drop into our laps, we have to plan for it, just like everything else we do in our daily lives.
It’s pretty repetitious, don’t you think? I believe awareness and/ or planning have reared their ugly heads over and over again. My son and I were sharing conversation and laughing, and he said to me, “Suck it up Princess”. This is such an appropriate saying for those of us basking in our sorrows. In other words, get over it. Quit whining, sniveling, and thinking up excuses. No one else can do this for us…although that would be delightful. The sooner we all realize that everything going on inside of us, is because of how we react and cope with life, the sooner we can get ourselves on a better track.
None of us are as stupid as we let ourselves believe and lead others to believe. Others are aware of our ‘poor me’ stories and the excuses we dream up. Nobody is fooling anybody. Now that we’ve established that…
I am not a huge fan of outdoor activities or having to go to the gym for a workout. I like exercise I can do at home with minimal equipment, like maybe a yoga mat. All you need for the following videos; approximately a 6X4 foot space and maybe a yoga mat, especially if you have pets, and I like to wear runners for extra padding and support.
My favourite exercise videos:
Hip Hop Abs
- combination hip hop dance moves and exercise
- focuses on abs the entire workout
- low impact
- extremely effective
- lots of fun
- so important for health and prevention of injuries
- provide stretching, balance, strength, endurance
- fantastic stress relief
- love yoga!
- low impact workouts
- provide strength, endurance, balance
- low intensity
- fun and challenging
- just like it sounds
- an all-round workout
- uses your own body weight for resistance
- can easily alternate low/ high impact
- extremely challenging
Buns of Steel
- intense workout for thighs and buns
- low impact
- just feels good
- thoroughly enjoy walking
- when I say hiking, I mean walking with more of a challenge, not scaling a mountain
- fresh air is always good for us and being out in nature can be very relaxing and meditative
- love the treadmill, plug in the tunes and get lost in my thoughts
- all-year-round workout
- change the intensity as you want
The only reason for exercising, is to be healthier. Move past the idea that we do it for weight loss, or to tone our muscles, and make it simple. Do it for the bigger picture, the long-lasting picture, your health. By not focusing on individual issues with our bodies and how we need to change them, we release the negativity, thereby allowing positive changes to happen. Remember, what we focus on, is usually what we get more of. The choice is yours, negative or positive.
Any other suggestions? Comments are welcomed and encouraged!